Ludlow Castle Heraldic Roll
Discovered in a London antique shop in 2015 and dating from c.1580, the beautiful Ludlow Castle Heraldic roll contains 42 coats of arms of some of the owners of Ludlow castle, presidents and members of the Council in the Marches of Wales from the 11th century to the 16th. It records the arms painted in the Ludlow Castle chapel by order of Sir Henry Sidney, President of the Council in 1574.
To ensure its preservation in suitable environmental conditions, the original will be kept at Shropshire Archives (ref 9546) although it is currently on short-term display at the Ludlow Museum Resource Centre.
As a result of the Heraldic Roll project, you can also view high resolution images of the Heradic Roll on the Shropshire Archives website and zoom into the incredible and colourful detail.
The Mortimer Society and Friends of Ludlow Museum continue to research the roll and have a conference on Saturday 5th October on ‘the Ludlow Castle Heraldic Roll, a window into Tudor times’ telling the story of the roll and its heraldry, Ludlow Castle in the time of Sir Henry Sidney and the lives of the people on the roll . Please download their flyer and conference programme for more information (PDFs) and take the opportunity to learn more about this important document.