Wellington Poor Law Union
For ordering, viewing and copying options: please select 'View or purchase'
- Place: Wellington, Shropshire
- Place: Shropshire Archives
- System Reference: XPL14
- Document Reference: PL14
- Finding Aids: Former S.R.O. bundle numbers and reference numbers are given next to the description of each item.
- Date: 1797 - 1930
- Level: Collection
- Extent: 102 Files
- Creator: Wellington Poor Law Union, 1836 - 1930
- Held At: Shropshire Archives
- Tags:Social welfare
- Related People:
- Access Status: Readers Ticket
- Conditions: private
- Creator Name: Wellington Poor Law Union, 1836 - 1930
- Admin History This Union was set up following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834. A House of Industry had been established about 1797 but very few of its records have survived; the new Union came into being in June 1836. The Union's functions were taken over by the County Council in 1930.
A collection is arranged in order to show context. This means that it will have been catalogued to preserve its original order where possible. The catalogue will be arranged into sub-sections such as series, files and items so that related records appear together. Your current record is highlighted in bold and the folder it is in shows its context. From here you can explore the collection further by opening up folders (select the + signs) and viewing details of any other records shown (select the text). Catalogue Jump to this document in the hierarchy