What we can do
We can provide copies of material in various formats:
- printouts form microfiche or film
- high resolution digital images via Drop Box
- superb quality prints on photographic and archival quality paper.
The cost depends on the format and condition of the original item (for example photocopying can damage some items).
How do I order copies?
For a single item, first find the details on the online catalogue. Then…
- Click on ‘view record’
- Next click on the ‘view or purchase’ tab
- You’ll need to sign in (or register if this is your first time using the site)
- You can then choose ‘request a quote’
If you are ordering copies of several documents, then it is easiest to add relevant items to your wish list.
- You’ll need to log in to do this, but on each item you are interested in, simply click ‘add to wish list’. You can do this over several days if needed.
- Then use the button for your account (top right of the screen)
- Choose the ‘wish list’ option (top of the screen).
- For the items you’d like copying, click in the boxes in the quotes column.
- Then click on the ‘quote’ button at the top of the column
- You’ll be asked to review your order, choose the format and add any other details.
We’ll then respond with a quote. The price will depend on the format of the original and the best way of making a copy without damage.
Once we respond with a quote, you can pay for the copies via the secure website.
Most images are supplied using Drop Box as this is a good way of transferring large images files. You’ll need to create a Drop Box account, but if you have any problems let us know.
When your image is uploaded to Drop Box, we’ll send you a link.
If you can’t find the reference on the online catalogue, then you can use the general online quote request to give us the details.
As we will need to check the original items and assess them for copying, this may take up to 10 working days. There will be a further wait for the copies after payment is made.
Some items have already been digitised; you can pay and download these instantly. If items are available for automatic download, you’ll see a ‘purchase download’ option.
Reproduction and copyright
Please note the copying of all material from the collections is subject to UK copyright legislation as well as preservation guidelines.
If you intend to reproduce our images in any way (including on the internet), then you must apply to us in writing/email. Check out our further publishing guidance, which includes information for the media and our current price list.
Your own images
We offer a service capturing images from your own collections:
- Digitisation of plans and drawings up to ‘A0’ size
- High quality digital photography
- Scanning of slides and photographs
- Images supplied in various file formats
- Photo quality prints produced to archival standard up to A3
- Design for promotional and publicity material
- All items stored in a secure environment to archival standards
- Staff trained to archival standard
Contact us to find out more.