Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Shropshire Archives registration
The information that you have submitted to register with Shropshire Archives will be stored and used by us provide services to you in accordance with the Data Protection legislation.
How we look after your information
When we ask for personal information we promise:
- to make sure you know why we need it
- to ask only for what we need, and not to collect too much or irrelevant information
- to protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- to let you know if we share it with other organisations to give you better public services – and if you can say no
- to make sure we don’t keep it longer than necessary; and
- not to make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission.
In return we ask you to:
- give us accurate information; and
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address.
This helps us keep your information reliable and up to date
Reader’s tickets are issued on provision of proof of identity and address and are non-transferable. A Reader’s account will be valid for 5 years and can be renewed on expiry with current proof of identity and address. A replacement charge of £5 will be made for lost cards.
Conditions of Access
Researchers are required to make use of personal data contained within documents in compliance with the Data Protection Acts. Your research will not be used to support measures or decisions with respect to particular individuals and will not cause or be likely to cause substantial damage or substantial distress to any person who is the subject of those data while he or she is alive or likely to be alive (assuming a life span of 100 years). You shall not make the results of your research available in a form that identifies any data subject without the consent in writing of the data subject or the data controller. Further information about specific conditions governing the collections will be provided by staff on request.
Researchers are expected to observe copyright. Please check with staff before making any copies (we have a photo permit system if you are using a camera or phone). Please do not reproduce material held at Shropshire Archives without checking with staff in writing first.
Everyone using the facilities must abide by our rules for all visitors. We also have regulations for use of computers and guidance for viewing original documents. Copies of these are available onsite.
If purchasing images:
I declare that –
- I have not been previously supplied with a copy of the same material by you or any other archivist/librarian and
- I require the copy for purposes of research for a non-commercial purpose or private study; I will not use the copy for any other purpose.
- I will not supply a copy to any other person
- For published works, to the best of my knowledge no other person with whom I work or study has made or intends to make, at or about the same time as this request, a request for substantially the same material at substantially the same time.
I understand that if this declaration is false in a material particular the copy supplied to me by you will be an infringement copy and I shall be liable for the infringement of copyright as if I had made the copy myself.
For reproduction rights, please see our guidance for publishing images and information for the media and submit your request using our ‘Quotation’ form. Please ensure you have noted the document references.
If a request for reproduction of this item has been granted:
I declare that –
I will use the image for the purpose agreed and subject to terms specified by Shropshire Archives and, if the item is in copyright, the copyright holder.